As a professional public organisation the Library Association of Latvia (LAL) was established in 1923.
Our activities include:
- advocating for libraries and librarians
- participation in drafting and defending of library law
- representation in the Latvian Library Council
- cooperation with local, national and foreign librarians’ societies and associations
- organising regional, national and international seminars and conferences
- sharing experience locally and internationally
- dealing with various professional issues in sections of LAL
- managing the work of the LAL regional departments and thematic sections
We have 4 regional departments covering all regions of Latvia and 5 sections.
Sections cover issues concerning:
- Children and school libraries
- Library marketing
- Book and library history
- Study of local history
- New professionals
At the moment we represents interests of:
- 543 members
We are members of:
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
- European Bureau of Library Information and Documentation Associations (EBLIDA)
Last revision: 24.04.2020.